Charge Nurse, RN
Type: RN / RN Supervisory
Hours: Regular Full-Time
We are currently looking for a great Charge Nurse, RN! As a Charge Nurse, you will be responsible for performing a variety of duties to provide quality nursing care and to coordinate total nursing care for residents. You will also assist with in planning, organizing and reviewing operations, implementing procedures and programs; determine work procedures and expedites work flow; ensure compliance with all operating policies, procedures, and regulations. Communicates with and supervises appropriate personnel; provides daily and other reports, and performs direct care duties using accepted nursing best practice standards when required.
- Performs and assists with various nursing procedures according to the procedure manual
- Assists physicians with treatments or examinations when needed
- Observes treatment and/or services performed by team members or other staff members
- Actively participates in development of realistic, measureable, time bound goals for the resident and staff
- Assists residents with ADLs and special care needs as indicated by Nurse Manager, Clinical Coordinator, Interdisciplinary team, etc.
- Ensures appropriate inventory level of nursing supplies to meet needs of residents
- Monitors, documents and provides recommendation as needed to resident response to medication
- Obtains, transcribes and ensures Physician's orders are implemented accurately
- Performs rounds to assess/evaluate resident care and reports changes and document appropriately
- Promotes an environment for the residents that acknowledges resident's rights, individuality and encourages maximum level of independence.
- Provides instruction and guidance to family, residents, and caregivers on medications and plan of treatment
- Provides and assists with provision of direct care needs for residents according to care plan/physician orders/resident needs
- Functions as a medication nurse if needed. Observes proper procedures regarding the passing of mediation, checking documentation for accuracy. Maintains accountability and follows procedures for narcotics and restricted drugs.
- Responds to emergencies; assesses resident condition, and makes responsible decisions about the type of medical attention required. Notifies family if patient is admitted to a hospital or transferred. Notifies physicians of significant changes in patient condition before notifying family. Collaborates with family with regard to hospitalization.
- Ensures care plans are updated accurately, completely and timely as required by changes in status, physician orders, regulations, etc. Communicates updates effectively to interdisciplinary team.Qualifications:
- Degree from an accredited school of nursing (BSN or BS in related field preferred)
- 2+ years’ experience in nursing preferably in an acute/long term care setting
- 1+ years’ supervisory experience
- Current NYS license and registration as an RN in good standing
- Proven patient assessment and care planning skills
- Current knowledge of best practice nursing standards and care
- Ability and knowledge to respond in emergency situations
- Ability to analyze problems, plan resolution strategies, implement solutions and evaluate outcomes
- Ability to lead, guide and motivate staff
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with clients, residents, and families from diverse backgrounds who may have physical, sensory and mental impairments
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a busy environment
- Proficient in MS Office programs and able to learn new software rapidly